DESMOND - Diabetes Education and Self-Management for Ongoing and Newly Diagnosed.
The DESMOND Program is an education tool designed to support people living with type 2 diabetes.
It is delivered by specially trained DESMOND Educators who will assist your self- management by increasing your knowledge and understanding of what type 2 diabetes can mean for you.
What will I learn during the DESMOND session?
As well as getting up-to-date information, you will learn practical skills for managing diabetes. You'll discuss and learn about areas including food choices, physical activity and medication interactions.
You will also be able to meet and talk to others with type 2 diabetes.
At the end of the sessions, everyone taking part in DESMOND will have information to take home for reference.
The program is built around group activities, but there will be opportunities for you to speak to a diabetes educator on your own if you need.
If you find the idea of joining in at these sessions too difficult, no one will make you contribute. However, you''ll get much more out of the sessions if you come prepared to share your experiences, thoughts and opinions.
DESMOND may help people with diabetes achieve:
- Lower HbA1c.
- Improved health outcomes.
- Supported weight reduction
- Improved levels of physical activity
- Improved understanding of diabetes.
Tell me more about a DESMOND Session:
- You will experience six hours of education delivered in one full day, or two half day sessions.
- Each program is delivered by two specially trained DESMOND Educators.
- Groups can take up to 10 participants living with diabetes.
- Each participant with diabetes is able to bring a partner or friend with them for support.
"This is the best information session I have attended. I would recommend this to anyone who is worried about diabetes management"
- DESMOND participant